Saturday, November 24, 2007

Poked and Zapped


I finally went to seek treatment today for that right arm of mine. It's been suffering from a numbing sensation for almost 3 weeks now and what I suspect was that a muscle tear is supressing a certain nerve, hence causing numbness and sharp pains whenever pressure is applied to my right arm.

Anyways, Alex C and Su Yee recommended that I seek the expertise of a certain acupuncturist whose practice is based in The Summit, USJ. They've seen the Lead Physician, Mr. Huang Pei Jian there a couple of times and apparently he's quite good. So an appointment was set up at 10:00 a.m. this morning. I had breakfast with Steph first before the both of us made our way to Jia He Healthcare Sdn. Bhd. I was a bit afraid of what's going to happen since Su Yee described the entire process in a horrifying detailed manner. Well, basically the words 'needles' and 'electricity' managed to send chills down my spine rather efficiently.

Mr.Huang first read my pulse on both my wrists and made some comments to it. Now the trouble is, Mr. Huang came from China and with that, came the very thick accent which both Steph and myself couldn't comprehend. I think I should also add that the both of us are residents of the 'Banana Republic', meaning we don't speak chinese as well as we should be. :P So I finally had to resort to calling Su Yee, Alex and Jack to translate the comments over the phone. I know ... it's pathetic but I had no other options.

Next, I was told to lie down on a mattress, face down to begin the acupunture treatment. I reckon Mr. Huang inserted no less than 10 needles at various points of my body. Suprisingly, there was no pain ... it only felt like a li'll ant bite, that's all. Next, he connected a couple of wires to those needles and sent electricity chanelling through my body. It lasted almost 30 minutes and my muscles were twitching and vibrating throughout. I must say that after a while, this sensation was almost soothing and rather relaxing. Upon removing all the needles from my body, I was given a painful massage by the physician himself and the blending of pain and ticklishness is NOT FUNNY. OUCHHH!!!

After all this was completed, I was given a cup of vile & bitter looking concoction to drink. It's also mixed with some chinese alcohol for reasons I do not know. However, it did not taste as nasty as it looked and I was told that I have to finish the whole bottle in five days time. Yuckkkkssss. The treatment cost me RM175 and I have to go back there to continue treatment for another nine sessions. Apparently, Mr. Huang would be able to gauge my recovery better this way. Not an option for me then. The effect from this treatment should be more significant after a day or two, so we shall see then.

Would really like the thank Su Yee, Alex C and Jack for showing concern and acting as translators for me. Of course not forgetting Steph who was with me at that time of treatment. Her being there made it that much easier for me to go through with this. :)

No comments: