Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kindred spirit



I was driving back from the city earlier tonight. It's about quarter past ten and Jalan Sultan Ismail is just about to come alive. The street was filled with mostly tourists, enjoying the breezy night under the flashes of blitzy neons. My car window was down and the heavy bass from nearby clubs resonates disturbingly with my own heartbeat.


I came to a halt at a traffic light. Beside me was a Kelisa driven by a lady ... probably in her mid twenties. She stared blankly at the empty road ahead and then let out a very heavy and worn out sigh. She proceeded to lean back and closed her eyes. At that moment, she somehow seemed so delicate and vulnerable. A couple of seconds later, she propped up and caught me staring.


For some reason, I offered her a weary smile. She paused and then returned the gesture. The light turned green. I tilted my head forward to indicate that we ought to be moving already. She acknowledged with a li'll nod. We drove and went our separate ways at the next intersection.


Even within such a short time frame, it's funny how two complete strangers could connect and form a certain degree of kindred spirit. I wish her well and that tomorrow would be a better day for the both of us. TGIF.

No comments: