Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Dining alone ...


After gym today, I was on my way to the bank. Passed by a restaurant serving some simple food and chinese dessert. There wasn't a crowd in there and as I tried to decide whether or not to eat in there, my stomach was agreeing with much enthusiasm.

Anyway, as I was wolfing down my meal, I got a call from a friend asking me out for coffee. I declined the offer and told her that I was already finishing my meal. We continued chatting and she asked if my company would mind me talking for so long on my mobile. I told her that I was alone and she couldn't believe it. Somehow it seemed surreal to her that I was actually having a meal all on my own.

This brings me to the topic of whether it is ok for you guys to eat alone in a restaurant / cafe / bistro etc. Well, I can. In fact, I've been doing it rather often and sometimes I quite enjoy the experience of dining alone. Perhaps it's my experience as an engineer where I sometimes have to eat alone due to me being located at certain project sites where having company for meals is not an option. Don't get me wrong, I love having meals with family, friends, colleagues, etc but all I'm trying to say is that in the event that there isn't anyone available, I have no qualms 'bout eating alone. I know some people can't do it ... they just simply can't. Period. Worst case scenario also, they'll take away the food and eat at home. For me, I'd rather not have to do the dishes after the take aways. Easier to just makan, pay the bill and get going no?

Take Starbucks for instance, I can sit there with my iced grande vanilla latte with a newspaper or my notebook and not feel any discomfort whatsoever but I guess one man's food is another man's poison.

Would really like to hear your views on this ya. :)

8 comments:

ironman said...

i have lunch alone. everyday. i do the starbucks thing as well.

Adrian said...

You're dissapointing a lot of hot potentials Gregster. :)

Alexander Lee said...

It's called SINGLEHOOD!

Or rather, try being the only full time GXI at a gym... Dah susah giler to find people to have lunch with... Semua timing tak betul..

Adrian said...

Single eaters UNITE!!! We should all congregate and form some sort of group. Haha. Perhaps try to squeeze some priviledges from certain eateries who'll take 'pity' upon us. Nyek nyek nyek. :p

Anonymous said...

What's wrong with eating alone!!! heheh..except on fri nites and sat nites. Come to think of it,there's no dinner time from Mon-Fri coz of gym. For lunch..I only eat alone during non-peak hours coz sometimes u get people staring coz ur occupying da whole table or u get strangers sharing a table with u.

Adrian said...

Hmmm ... it seems that the ones eating alone are all instructors. Coincidence???

Alexander Lee said...

(Bashes Adrian into a pulp)

Adrian said...

Oi ... why hentam me??? I also part of the 'single diner' gang ma ... and proud of it. Hahaha. :P