Thursday, August 7, 2008

12 days here ... 10 things I learnt

Yes, it's been 12 days since I boarded the Etihad flying machine and landed myself in the Middle East ... well, Abu Dhabi to be exact. I've seen things I never thought I would ever see, I've experienced new teachings and living a new life. Below is a short summary of the previous 12 days :

1.) The sun here is harsh and unforgiving. One can feel the intensity of the heat as early as 8:00 a.m.

2.) I've turned a couple of shades darker.

3.) My palms and feet can sweat. Not a nice feeling I tell ya.

4.) I've put on no less than 1.5kgs due to the amount and type of food I consume thus far and with very very minimal exercise. Blehhh.

5.) Under different circumstances, you'll get to see the true identity and character of a person. Sad to say, this is not always a pleasant encounter.

6.) There are all types of cars here. The sound of the thundering Escalade (an American 4x4) brings music to my eardrums. Even spotted a Proton Waja along Airport Road yesterday. What the heck is a Waja doing here ... well, it still puzzles me.

7.) Locals, even at a young age are mostly rich. A 10 year old made news for winning a tender bid for a vehicle number plate. When asked what is he going to do with the license seeing that he's not old enough to drive, he responded that he'll use it when he's old enough to own a car. When asked what would his future car be ... he looked at the female British reporter as if she was a retard and cooly answered "Ferrari of course!!!" Oh and he paid a 'meager' RM1.5 million for the license plate.

8.) I saw a Hummer stretch limo today outside the Abu Dhabi Prison.

9.) I saw the most magnificent hotel ever ... to me the grandeur of the Emirates Palace exceeds that of the Burj Al Arab (the infamous 7 star hotel in Dubai).

10.) Almost everyday, I'm learning something new in my course of work. Today I went and met up with my civil contractor alone. After taking two different taxis (the first one took me to the wrong location), I was seated with this 65 year old man with wrinkled skin and thinning ivory white hair. Again he's forcing me to eat the dates and drink more camel's piss (read previous post). Luckily this time I requested that I had mine added with a li'll bit of sugar.

We were discussing bout the project schedule and I enquired about his availability for my project. He told me yesterday that he had already committed to biulding 12 villa units within the next 18 months. Crazy huh. Anyways, he looked at me and smiled. It's the kind of smile given by an adult to a silly li'll kid or at least that was how I saw it. He then proceeded to ask me :

Mr.Hani : Mr.Adrian, do you have any kids?

Me : No Mr.Hani. Not yet. Maybe in a couple of years time.

Mr.Hani : InsyaAllah you will have them when the time is come. I have 5 children, 4 boys and 1 girl. Now do you think I feed them separately or all at the same time.

Me : *I just smiled ... I got his meaning*

Mr.Hani : Each project is like my children. If I am not capable, I shall not be taking all this project at the same time. My reputation is important. If I lose my reputation, I lose my life. *all this explained with vigorous hand flinging motions*

Me : Ok, you have my trust. *I felt truly humbled by his answer*

I just hope his work is as good as his words.

5 comments:

Su-Yee said...

aiyo.....you and the camel's piss again.....hahaaha

do some sit ups and push up at home la. atleast 50 push up a day.

Anonymous said...

look like u can learn many things in 12 days which will take u more than 1 year in sj office to do so...

i can sense accelerated growth, good job.

Anonymous said...

My friend...
Just a note...don trust too much on CONTRACTOR...!!!

Anonymous said...

Met Hani before...IMHO, he is a snake...all talk and no action.

Anonymous said...

I like your number 5