Friday, June 27, 2008

Bangkok Kitchen @ USJ 9






Dunno what to blog about, so I'll just tell you what I had for dinner two nights ago. SY and I initially wanted to dine somewhere in USJ 10 Taipan but because the traffic heading into that area was nothing short of horrendous at all entry points, we decided to have a simple dinner in USJ 9 instead. We wanted Kiwi Express but on the way there, we passed by Bangkok Kitchen. A Thai restaurant which we've both not tried before. Ermmm ... just so you know, we're both really huge fans of Thai culinary and gastronomic offerings. *wink*

I was sold by their claim that their chef hailed direct from Bangkok. We browsed through their menu and I must say that it was poorly presented. Pictures were blurry and the descriptions weren't very helpful to say the least. A handful of scribblings here and there made the entire menu sloppish and uninviting.

The waitress soon came over to take our order and I noticed that she and the rest of the staff were Muslims. My conclusion is that they originate from the southern regions of Thailand where it's mostly populated by the Thai Muslims. Even the chef (who seemed to have a smile perpetually plastered on his face) looked Muslim.

Anyways, we ordered two set menus for 1. Included are a choice of mixed veg./kailan/kang kung, tom yam seafood / green curry chicken, tim tham grob (water chestnut with coconut milk dessert) and reg / green syrup. All for RM11.

We both went for the kang kung since the kailan was unavailable and we weren't too keen on the mixed vegs. A portion of tom yam and green curry each, desserts and iced red syrups. We added an order of deep fried beef with kunyit. Really yummy this one.

The kang kung was stir fried with oyster sauce and added with slices of tomato and carrot. Taste wise, I'll give it a 4/10. Tom yam ... according to SY tasted weird ... unlike the usual sour and spicy ones we're used to. I reckon that they used a very thick tom yam paste to conjure up this dish and didn't feel very authentic to the taste buds ... 3/10. Like previously mentioned, the beef ... thin slices of tenderloin marinated heavily with kunyit and curry powder and then deep fried. I've always liked meat cooked this way ... so a biased 7/10. Desserts were complimentary ... so won't comment to much about it. SY mentioned that it tasted like lipstick. I wouldn't know now would I. I thought it was rather ok though. :P Finally, the syrup is akin to the cordial ones you can cheaply purchase from hypermarkets.

Service was ok. We didn't have to wait too long despite there being 3 other waiting tables and that there was only one smiling chef available. Total damage ... RM34. Ok lor I reckon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

At this rate you are eating...you would be a fat boy again soon...
Am I correct to say that you have already tried all the eateries in subang?

Adrian said...

Haha ... hmmm ... no la ... not yet try everything yet. Nowadays ... a lot of new restaurants / cafes popping up everywhere ... can't keep up with them. :p

Anonymous said...

aiyoo LC, how can you not know the taste of lipstick??? takkan you never kissed a girl with lipstick on before. that day i saw you kissin.... OPPS!! said to much here. hehehehe...

Adrian said...

OOO ... I see. So that's what lipstick taste like. All this while I thought my girl's lips tasted sweet naturally. Kekeke.

MochaSourcream said...

Dude, is there any restaurant in Subang/USJ that u have not been? hehe u took all the interesting blog locations de...haha what else to write some more?? mmm think I'll blog abt Subang/USJ toilets la... how abt we join you for dinner next time??

Adrian said...

Yo bro,

I've been living in Subang for the past 18 years man. So yes, I've tried most of the eatery establishments in the area. And you're most welcome to join in my li'll 'gastronomic advenures'. Hahaha. Sharing is caring no? Double date perhaps. :)