Sunday, May 2, 2010

The things that go bump in the night ...


What would you expect to see in a construction site? Well, the usual includes heavy machineries like big-ass trucks, tractors, cement mixers etc. You also get loads of building materials namely concrete, sand, blockworks, wood planks etc. As far as the people goes ... you get the management clowns in their smartly pressed shirts and pleated pants, the supervisors in their jeans and sweat soaked t-shirts and of course the labourers in their bright overalls and hard hats.

What I didn't expect to see was a pair of shoes ... kiddie shoes to be exact ... the cute li'll ones meant for 2 year old girls I reckon. It was black and dotted with pink petalled flowers. I saw it when I was busying myself at the site today. As I approached it for a closer look, two of em' Indian labourers gestured frantically at me to not get any nearer. Although I couldn't make out what they were saying (I was pretty sure they were speaking in Tamil) ... I could tell they were trying to warn me to stay away.

Not one foolish enough to tamper with the unknown ... I backed away without another glance. It made me wonder ... just why was that pair of shoes placed there and just who or what was it intended for ... spooky stuff. *cue Twilight Zone's theme song*

No comments: