Friday, January 18, 2008

Brain and spine surgery.

Seems like a nightmare but at least in nightmares, you wake up and everything is ok again. Not this time though. :(

Went to see the neurosurgeon today and was told that my condition is actually worse that what I initially expected. I'm suffering from what the doctors call cerebellar tonsillar ectopia with descend. To you and me, this simply means that my brain is drooping slightly at the back portion ... 4 mm to be exact from where it's suppose to be. Apparently, this defect is from child birth and as a result of this, throughout the years, there's an extensive built up of spinal fluids inside my spine from the C2 to L8 levels (Almost the entire spine). This fluid is currently putting pressure on the nerves and hence this would explain the numbing sensation as well as the sharp pains I'm experiencing. If this spinal pressure continue to increase, it may very well destruct the structure of my spine and that is BAD. Furthermore, the fluid may spread and be retained in the brain which is also VERY BAD. Permanent and severe damages will occur by then.

So what must be done now? A 3 part surgery is recommended. It's to be carried out simultaneously and if everything goes well, it should last no longer than 5 hours *fingers crossed*. First, the surgeon would like to cut away a small part of my skull to install an artificial membrane to hold the brain in its correct position. Secondly, they want to install a tube inside my body permanently. This tube will extend under the skin from my spine to the chest area and its purpose is to drain out whatever spinal fluid that may be produced in the future. Finally, the third surgery is to remove the excessive spinal fluid found in my spine now. There's a danger in the third procedure because the fluids have been there over the years. Therefore, my spine grew taking into consideration the presence of the fluids. Removing it suddenly may cause the spine to collapse and again ... this is VERY BAD. The nerve system might be affected and I could feel anything from prickly sensation all over the body to excruciating pain. Hopefully, over time, the spine will strengthen and straighten and things will gradually get better. Or I might just have to get used to the discomfort.

Oh, the cost for the surgery ... no less than RM40k and it's not claimable with insurance simply because it's a birth defect.

It may not show in this entry but I'm feeling really down and scared at the moment. I've never been admitted into a hospital throughout my 26 years on God's green earth and now this ... something so major.

I guess I'll just have to stay strong and hope for the best. Pray for me if you have the time k.

8 comments:

kress said...

hmm.. stay strong buddy.... you'll be fine coz you still have to teach bodycombat yah ;-)

Adrian said...

Hey Kress,

Thanks for the well wishes k. Really appreciate it. Yes, I hope to get this hurdle over and done with. Can't wait to jump back into action. :)

Hope to catch up with u guys every now and then. Will update my progress thru my blog, so stay tuned. Hehe

Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,
Don't worry. Things will go well for you man. Live the GX spirit in you. Never give up, stay strong and stay positive.
Every problem will have it's solution. If there's a solution, it won't be a problem anymore.

Anonymous said...

oh my! i wanted to go for your body combat class at taipan(assuming it's ur slot already la. or is it still alex's?) but i didn't realise that the reason behind your missing is this.

like what they have said, be strong and hope for the best. everything we'll be ok :)

Adrian said...

Hey Anonymous,

I was suppose to take over the Friday slot from February onwards but unfortunately, this happened. Hence, hopefully I'll get to see you when I'm fully recovered. Till then ... KIA KAHA !!!(Stay Strong) :)

Tweets said...

Dear Adrian,

This is a shock to me. I give all my blessings and wishes. I pray for a smooth recovery and that you have to promise me that you come back to teach combat after my class. :-)

Purdey

Anonymous said...

Hey,Be strong k...god is always with us.Will pray for your speedy recovery :). Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Hey Adrian,

Will say a lil prayer for you.

Hugs,
Sulin