Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Abu Dhabi ... Settling in




I’ve adjusted better to the weather here. Yes, it’s hot … today it almost hit 50 deg C especially when we were having the site meeting … the heat just hits you in the face like a blistering sledgehammer. Everytime I leave the hotel apartment, my glasses gets fogged up and it’ll take a couple of seconds for it to clear itself again.

Food wise … now that’s sad. I’ve been having ALL my meals at the same restaurant since I first arrived. That’s right, you heard me … 2 days … 6 meals … all in this South Indian restaurant. I think it’s called Sunlight Restaurant or something of that sort. Why you ask … I don’t really know how to answer. Convenience perhaps … afterall, it’s just located opposite where I’m currently staying but then again, there are so many other restaurants around the area. Hmmm … I’m puzzled too but somehow, the people I work with tend to head there for every meal. Taste wise, it’s ok la. Really nothing worth mentioning but pricing is reasonable.

Oh, I’ve found a gym I can go too here. It’s located 5 minutes away in a hotel which belongs to the same group of hotels which I’m currently staying in. Hence, I’ve been granted free access there. Woo Hoo!!! … but it’s a small gym le … something like 2 treadmills and 2 bicycles. Alas, beggars can’t be choosers. Also located where McDs, KFC and Burger King is. Found two oriental restaurants located nearby. I now know where to get a haircut and pharmacies are aplenty. So survival shouldn't be an issue. :p

Work load is rather heavy at the moment. Not complaining though … at least it’s a productive way to pass the time. Beginning to adapt to the working lifestyle, the culture in general and hopefully, this exposure will equip me with better knowledge and experience once I’m done for good here.

The photos above are taken at my site. Blistering I tell ya.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Been telling ppl aredi...the hot weather is like bumping into a HEAT WALL...invisible one...LOL...
Try some new food lar or else u will become kang kang pretty soon...

Try the Golden 'F**K' for a change...they have asian food but doesnt taste like asian food...but the price is more reasonable...
22 Dirham for the Manchurian chicken Rice with vege...including drinks...somemore before that u will get the nice pc of toast bread with a bowl of cream soup...
Better Deal lar...

Me and Jamie been eating that food all the time...but not every meal...cuz feel like kang kang liao when eat the food all the time...

PS: try CHILLIS lar...got a lot of gals there lar...Maybe u might get to know one of them lar...LOL...Jamie got the numbers lar...ask him to give u lar...Muahahahahahah.....!!!!!!!!!!

Jamie said...

yayayayaya...try the Golden F*&k (Fork) chain of restaurant for some near to Asian style food. Order the Mee Pancit beef / chicken..thats the best me and ngu evr freaking tasted during our stay there. Price wise is worth it rather than the South Indian shit that the Sathis asshole likes to have AND its quite hygenic.

OK, now for some lessons in Arabic..

Fulus = money
Mafi = NO
Fulus Mafi = No Money
Musykilah = Problem
Musykilah Kabeh = Big Problem
Mafi Musykilah = No Problem
Karuuf = Kambing
Jamilah = Girls
Beet Jamilah = Pretty Girls
Manjeeria = Eat
Kalas = Done/Finish

Thats all for now or you will go bonkers.

Another word of caution bro, use a lot of lip gloss and moisturizer ( Oil or Ulan or sumthing like that ). Put some moisturizer in your nostrils at night or you might wake up with nose bleeds ( no joke hoh ).

If you take a Taxi, go for the white or silver coloured one that use meters...con men aplenty there wooooo.

Oh, b4 I forget..dun buy the curry flavoured Maggi mee..taste like something from the drain ( like eu mua teh ) yuuuucks and ptuuuuuiiii!!!!!

try to cover your head whenever you are outside or you will be susceptible to heat stroke.

In the meantime, take care and remember to use both hands...even at once oso nevermind.

Adrian said...

Yes, the heat will need some time to really get used to.

Yea, I located where Golden Fork is already. Perhaps lunch there today. :) Manchurian chicken huh ... sounds regal ... sounds good. Hehe.

Here so hot, better walk kang kang la ... more airy ma.

Notchet find a good place selling electronics or cameras le. So no DSLRs at the moment.

MAFI!!! I must not mention Beet Jamilah here or else I'll be Kalas when SY Manjeeria me for breakfast. :p

Seriously, my right arm developing really well man. Haha.

And I try not to go out in the heat le. Do not wish to get roasted to soon. Wouldn't look too good dropping dead in a kang kang position. :p

Guys, thanks for the tips. Golden Fork ... here I come!!!

Anonymous said...

By the way, heard a lot of bad things about "your beloved colleague" who is Manufactured and assembled in India, has he done anything bad to you yet? Or you already kenot stand him? Never mind, HiT him with your StRong right arM! And remeber NOT to wash your arm before hitting him right in his face.

Anonymous said...

you all are much, much lucky compared to me...
being thrown to Dubai by boss ALONE only. Didn't even know how, who, what will be waiting for me when i arrived ALONE three years ago.

Stayed in a room with 2 other Indian nationals. Hotel?? Just kuli only, where entitled... Laundry?? wash by hand.. where can claim??

Had taken AED2.50 indian meal before, pakistani nan, samosa for meal...

Taken 1 ton lorry with 4 other worker from Dubai to site at Ras Al Khaimah, the ulu ulu place.. yala transport was provided but cramped 4 in front of lorry.

all for rm150 per day. No OT. In short, been there done that.

So, i feel now with better condition, all of u should be able to survive. No basis for u to complaint

Adrian said...

Yea, I guess considering what you've been through, we've had it a whole lot easier. So yea, you're right, no basis for complaint. Just gonna do what we're sent here to do. The experience should be invalueable later on.