Wednesday, July 2, 2008

The simple things in life





People say sometimes ... the best things in life are free. How true is this??? I personally don't know really. It seems everything has a price ... everyone's expecting something back for something done.

Lately, I've been trying to simplify my life in general. To take things one step at a time. With all the extra financial burden due to the fuel price hike, it's time to cut down on the unnecessary luxuries.

Lavish dining experiences are now mostly replaced with simple economical ones. Shopping sprees practically came to an uncomfortable halt. Driving aimlessly in the middle of the night to clear the mind is a BIG NO-NO now.

Does cutting down makes me less contended with life??? The answer is a resounding 'No'. Somehow being able to 'adapt' equipped me with a certain sense of achievement. A meal for instance, it's not so much what you eat, it matters more to me who I eat it with. My dinner on Sunday with SY cost less than RM10. We walked around Pavilion ... people watched and happily window shopped whilst enjoying each other's company.

The best things in life are free ... agree???

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the best things in life are free" - Depends on what you are referring to lor...if you are referring to COUNTABLE goods, then this principle is wrong. This principle only applies to UNCOUNTABLE goods, things that you cannot measure, touch. And mostly rich ppl lacked on this "uncountable" goods, which makes them say this phrase. And poor people say this coz they don;t want people to see them as a failure!
That is just my thinking, may be wrong. So Adrian...which category are u from?

Adrian said...

Best means the thing that you treasure most ... irregardless of whether it's countable or uncountable. So for me, although material wealth is important, there are other things that matter more ... for example, my loved ones. So I may be poor financially, nevertheless, I am rich in terms of other aspects in life. For me, that's sufficient to put a smile on my face. Which category am I from ??? Does it even matter???

MochaSourcream said...

Best Things in Life are free?? Agree, Agree... The air we breathe is free... Thank God for that... Precious moments spent with each other is free... even when we are doing nothing... All these things make life more worth living!

MochaSourcream said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

LC,
Actually hor. from my point of view nothing really comes free. For me the term "best things in life are free" actually refers to the satisfaction of the end results.
For example,
Spending time with loved ones.Before you canb do that, you have to find a "loved one". the irony of it is, it never came free. remember the time you were wooing your loved ones? how much you spent on dinner, movies, dates & etc? Men have to spend alot in terms of money and time. Women only spend their spare time hahahaha. (your women readers gonna bash me liao)

So for me nothing really comes free, you either have pre paid for it or you gonna pay in the future. hahaha. anyway, relaxs its a friday!!

PS: wa you quite terror ah. i was searching for you in facebook also but you hunted me down first.

Adrian said...

End of the day, I guess the simple rule applies ... 'You reap what you sow'.

Worth it or not ... it's up to us to decide for ourselves.

Hehe ... I'd rather be the hunter than the hunted. :p

Anonymous said...

The best things in life are free and taken for granted most of the time.

Time with loved ones...some do not cherish till they are gone or leaving

Air we breathe..we do not cherish till the haze comes or when you are suffocating.

Becca said...

Agreed! You are exactly right. Time with loved ones and letting people know how much you care are the things that matter in the end.

P.S. I think "sam" that commented is bitter... maybe he/she lacks these "uncountable goods".

Adrian said...

Heya Becca,

Firstly welcome to Adrian's Nook. :D

Yea, we should cherish our loved ones but being human, it's sad that we only often treasure such moments when it's gone.

I know Sam personally and I can vouch that he's an OK guy. :) Just that perhaps he's trying to search for his true calling.

What's 'Countable' or 'Uncountable' ... really depends on that individual.