Saturday, April 25, 2009

Simplicity ... where art thou?

The world in which we live in today is so fast paced. Changes happen so rapidly and adaptation isn't an option if one is striving to survive. Almost everyone I know is wishing for no less than 36 hours in a day so that they can accomplish all of their duties, chores, work ... fantasies ... etc. Haha. You get my drift.

I've had these thoughts but more often now than before. Many a times, mostly late into the night, after I tuck myself snuggly under the duvet, lights swithced off leaving only the pale moonlight sneaking through the curtain blinds and only the occasional rumbling sounds of distant vehicles passing the almost barren roads nearby ... I'll allow my mind to drift. Sometimes it'll flutter back to reflect on the day's activities and happenings. Other times ... it'll hop on to nonsensical contemplations. (Don't bother asking ... :p).

However, recently ... my mind is constantly occupied with a sense of derision. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot ... especially the simple pleasures in life. I know I know I know ... you lot will probably say that I'm real fortunate to be able to work in the ever 'lucrative' Middle Eastern market bla bla bla ... that you know of one granduncle's son's wife's cousin's dog's neighbour's niece just got terminated with immediate effect etc. Trust me ... I know all these. I know that without my current job, I'll probably have to scale down my upcoming wedding reception big time.

But regardless, I feel what I feel. Perhaps you can look at it that to err is human and I'm very very human. For instance, getting married is a once in a lifetime experience ... well or at least we're thought to believe that. And the planning process is just as important as the big day itself. Now being thousand of miles apart, I'm being robbed of this priviledge ... sure, everything is do-able online nowadays but it's different you know. My pre-wedding photos are ready. SY has seen it, her family has seen it, my family has seen it ... I haven't. Boo Hoo!!!

And then there's the gym. Ok ... some of you might be a li'll confused. Let me drive this clear ... I like to workout ... I like the gym. It's my place of solace where I can sweat it out and more often than not, I feel rejuvenated physically and mentally after a good session there. Just so you know, I go to the gym almost daily when I'm back home. Here, I have to settle for daily runs along the same route around my neighbourhood. I dodge maniac drivers and am forced to inhale the rejects from their exhaust pipes. Oh and did I mention that I'm not entirely comfortable being stared at by the many Pakis and Banglas that see me like a piece of fresh meat. I dunno why, but their piercing gazes just felt that way.

Now to the next point ... FOOD. Close ones know just how much I enjoy the gastranomic offerings we have back home. I LIVE TO EAT!!! And here, let's just say I had pasta bolognaisse for lunch, dinner (yesterday) and breakfast (today).

Transport ... the freedom and convenience of having to drive to wherever I want is no longer an option. If I wanna do some grocery shopping, I walk under the blistering sun to a supermarket 15 mins away. Shop, pay and then lug my purchases back to the villa ... under the scorching sun.

The joys of being with loved ones ... gone. Simple pleasures such as lacing our fingers together, movie outings and good night kisses with her are only happening once every 3 months. Daily conversations are so costly and don't get me started on Skype. The internet service subscribed by my company is utter rubbish. The line disconnects every other minute. KNN!!!

I think I'll have to stop now. A lot of things are getting to me easily these days. This rant ought to help pacify some of em' bottled up frustrations.

Sekian.

2 comments:

Sheng said...

Hey... I think my dad who is currently working in AD just like you is probably feeling worse than you.

Somtimes I feel sad for him cos he only gets to come back to Malaysia like twice a year.

Imagine that... I see my dad twice in a year =/

But yeah... hes missing out on everything you're missing out in Msia too. He only has his books and tv to keep him company everynight wen he comes back from work =(

Adrian said...

Take comfort knwoing that whatever we do here is mostly for the sake of our loved ones back home. Some might call it sacrifice, others see this as an oppurtunity, experience etc ... regardless, life ain't always a bed of roses ... not for everyone I guess. So perhaps a good phrase to keep in mind ... 'If it doesn't kill you, it'll only serve to make you stronger'

Another note to self ... smuggle more 'bak kua' into AD next time. Haha.

See you in June. :)