Saturday, January 3, 2009

A tribute from a son to his father ...

Yesterday, as many others ushered in the New Year with joy and laughter, a close friend of mine suffered the loss of his father. Hence, he wrote a short tribute to his dad as a token of rememberance and respect.

My Father

As I feel the keyboard under my fingers tip, I froze at the thought of not finding the right words to describe a man you know all your life.

My father, a man I (all of us) came to respect, turned to in times of despair, looked up to for inspirations, feared (when us “angels” accidentally got into troubles) and taken for granted but most of all loves very much. A man who lived life to the fullest and having his own principles in life, who barely barge from his belief. He has been described by many as being bold, brave and courageous but most of all for having a heart of gold.

Growing up, we often took our parents discipline, lectures and nagging as a form of disagreement in view or of irritations, only to realize how valuable those lessons are when we are on our own. There is just too many lessons that I have learnt from this man and I can’t think of any better than the following to epitomize the person that he is…………

(1) 12 or 13 yrs old I was, often after reading the newspaper, my father would cut out articles in the paper of peoples (regardless of race) appealing for donation or charity due to illness and disasters. He would then take RM30-50 and with the article, pass to his friend who happens to work for the papers to help submit his donation. Being the smart-alec at that time, I used to think that is a silly thing to do as the people are asking for ten and hundreds of Ringgit, how can a mere RM50 help them. Showing lack of wisdom, I told him what I thought and that day change the way how I feel about charity. My father told me that we human being must help each other whenever we can cause not everybody are as lucky as the next person. My contribution may be small but if the required people do the same, then a life might be saved and that is priceless. I always remember this saying; “If you can, always offer an extra place for someone during dinner, why waste leftovers when you can finish everything by sharing”.

(2) I have always admired my father for the many friends that he has, whenever he goes, there’s bound to be someone he knows. He has helped quite a few and a few has come to help or offered it when he did not even ask for it.

One day after school, I was having some problem with a friend and I complained to him that I do not want to friend this person anymore. Instead of being supportive, he taught me what being a friend is all about. Apart from family, one can’t live without friends, especially close friends. Making friends is easy but having good friends is not. Not only you have to respect, believe and be kind to your friends but the most important thing is to be honest to them. Sometimes your honesty may not be well received and may even be harsh but as long as you are true to yourself, then you have done what you can as a friend. Always remember that it is better to be told that you can be trusted than to assure people you can be.

As your last journey end at heaven's gate, your next chapter will begin ...

Your son,

Alfee


May you find rest and peace Alfee Sr. God bless ...

1 comment:

Su-Yee said...

i am sorry to hear. :(