Saturday, July 17, 2010

Man down ...


I was in the midst of having a dream. Not a bad one I might add ... something along the lines where I was holidaying with wifey and my family in Hong Kong. Oh and for some peculiar reason ... it also involved some bean sprouts. Hmmm ...

Anyways, the dream was shattered when I was suddenly jolted awake by a series of uncontrollable coughs ... my own to be exact. It went on for quite a while and when it finally stopped, my lungs felt sore. Not exactly sure why but those excruciating coughs prompted my nose to start leaking like a faucet. A few deep breaths later ... I drifted back to ZZZzzz ...

As I was washing up for work ... the throat felt irritated and before I could brace myself, a series of chronic coughs ensued. I'm sure the neighbours didn't appreciate such a rude wake up call.

Throughout the rest of the day, I was hacking like an old witch and the extreme heat from the summer sun didn't help either. Coupled with the dusty environment at the site ... I've got myself the perfect recipe to cook up a coughing marathon.

In the evening, the weather was more forgiving ... the heat more merciful. So I thought I'd give my body a good sweat in the hope of expelling the spells of lethargic that have been enveloping me the entire day.

I stretched and laced up. When I was ready, I started with a slow jog to warm up the gastrocnemius muscles. I steadied my breathing and controlled my pace ... so not looking forward to another series of dry coughs to interrupt the run. The music on my earphones were pumping hard to distract me from that nagging feeling that was building up from within ... one step at a time I told myself.

I was sweating more profusely than usual and I haven't even hit the 2km mark yet. Large beads of sweat were stinging my eyes and as hard as I tried to motivate myself to go on ... my body was screaming for me to stop.

When I did ... I was overcomed with sheer exhaustaion. With my palms to my knees, I could literally feel my heart banging against my rib cage and I was breathing awfully hard ... gasping for every ounce of air available.

I lugged my tired self back to the villa and peeled off my drenched attire that was clinging to my body for dear life. After a hot shower ... I hoovered down my dinner before allowing 10ml of Linctus to yuckily trickle down my throat.

I guess the meds are taking effect now as the eyelids are beginning to weigh quite a bit. Time to hit the sack and I hope tomorrow's gonna be a better day. G'nite folks ... ZZZzzz ...

No comments: