Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sometimes ... I miss the EUPHORIA ...


For as long as I can remember, I have been an overweight humpty dumpty. And then it all changed the day I put my name down for a membership at a local gym. I gradually got the hang of it till I began to see positive results. The more I push myself, the better I see my self in the mirror and that drove me to push even harder. There were days where I did cardio for 5 hours in a row and as a result, I dropped 18 kilos in less than 7 months.

Through the gym, I began taking interest in the cardio classes they conducted in their studios. Heck, I somehow view the regulars of such classes with a certain aura of awe ... that they were a class above the rest. Being an introvert, I began as an 'outstanding' member ... meaning I only watched the classes standing from the outside :p

A particular class that really intrigued me was one they called Body Combat. Basically, it's a mixed martial arts influenced cardio workout. They would punch, they would kick, they would scream ... all in unison. You'll finish the class totally drenched in sweat, burn off hundreds of calories and filled with happy trigger endorphins. The PASSION was INTENSE and it was CONTAGIOUS. So one fine day, I lugged myself to one corner of the studio to join my very first Body Combat class. The regulars would don fierce colours ... mostly a concoction of black, green and red. Some went as far as wearing combat camoflouge longs. Others lace their palms with martial art wraps (refer photo above). So gaya!!! Me ... I felt wayyyyy underdressed in my brandless bermudas, brandless baggy t-shirt and Power badminton shoes.

The class started and I was so out of placed. I had no idea what I was doing and what's worse, I was in the way of the people around me. Before you know it, or rather by the 3rd track ... I was huffing and puffing my way out of the studio ... swearing never to return.

Soon I switched gym ... one that was newly opened ... one that had new members ... members who were alien to Body Combat just as yours truly is. :) So Body Combat started to become fun. In fact, I was enjoying it so immensely that I attended it almost 7 days a week. WACHAAA!!!

Oh and by the way, it was in one of em' Combat classes that I met a gorgeous girl who eventually became my wife today. :D

After a couple of months, a fellow member managed to persuade me to take up training for becoming a Combat Instructor. I was very hesistant at first ... I mean I hardly talk to others in the gym let alone being up there on stage having every single pair of eyes focused on you. I think I'd just keel over and regurgutate white foam from my mouth. But in the end, I gave in and together with 2 others ... we went for it. The 3 day training experience was invaluable. Till today, the core teachings of Les Mills (where Body Combat originated from) is still very much instilled in my heart.

After passing the training, the gym straightaway thrusted the few trainees into practice, practice and more practice. Before long, we each began to have our own classes to teach. From being shy and uncomfotable ... I slowly crawled out of my shell and opened up to the members. It was such a joy to receive positive responses from them once in a while and I thrive on those to do better. For the first time in my life, I began to feel secure being under the spotlight ... to interact with others on a level I never knew I could.

Oh what joy it gives me to have the members punch when I punch, to kick when I kick, to shout when I shout. It gives me a sense of pride to see the members utterly shattered with tiredness but filled with so much satisfaction at the same time. I feel estatic to feel every fiber of my muscles ache with exhaustion. Nothing beats the sensation of the hot shower beating furiously on your back after each class. Best of all, I feel great when I see the members' contended smile after the class is over ... I think that's the best thank you I can get for a job well done.

I made new friends ... I get good workouts ... I get paid for doing it ... what's not to like. Taking from LG's tagline ... Life is Good!

But alas, it wasn't meant to last. It was in Jan 2008 that I had to undergo a double surgery. With a very heavy heart, I bid the members farewell and gave up all of my classes. And for the next three months, I just stayed at home, binged a lot and watch the idiot box. My weight skyrocketted by 10 kilos and my endurance / fitness level went rock bottom. I was a blob once more. *Boo hoo*

Not giving up ... slowly and painfully, I picked up exercising again. I began with slow walks around the neighbourhood which progressed to slow jogs soon after. It was another 1.5 months that I stepped back into the gym. I went straight for a Combat class of course. It began with the members having to shuffle to their right and guess what happened??? ... My legs gave way and I sprawled to the ground. SO EMBARASSING!!! Anyway, I picked myself up and things were ok from then on. I used to be able to teach four classes in a day ... now I'm at the verge of total exhaustion before even finishing half a class. It was gradual but I soon regained my fitness and hey ... I even managed to teach again. Hooray!!!

Just when it all began to fall into place again ... my life as a Combat instructor hit another snag. My company decided to send me to the Middle East to work on a project. So from July 08 till now ... I've been missing from all the action. I still do what I can to ensure I'm still connected to Combat somehow ... listening to its songs when I go for my daily run ... keeping up to date with its happenings through friends and Facebook ... but really ... nothing beats doing the real thing itself. Sure, I attend classes whenever I'm back for a short break ... but it's just not ... complete. :(

The life here in the Middle East have blessed me with lots ... a good start to my life, financially ... it paid for my wonderful wedding and an even better honeymoon *wink* ... I can now call myself a proud owner of a home but sometimes ... I really do miss the exhilaration ... I crave the excitement ... I hunger for the euphoria ... of being a Body Combat Instructor.

2 comments:

Vera Lowe said...

Teach at Ara Hill laa...:) hehe..those gyms or community centers.. Martial Arts Aerobics ...kekek..

Adrian said...

Hehe ... over there ... just wanna laze in the pool ... :p