Tuesday, September 30, 2008

All alone ...

Beginning today till the next seven days at least, I'll be all alone here in Abu Dhabi. My colleagues have either left someplace else for work or taking their hols. Being the only one in this huge villa can be slightly unerving at times. Even tiny sounds can drive up bigger echos.

Henced I almost spilled my breakfast all over the floor when the door bell suddenly rang non stop this morning. As I approached the door, I could hear cheeky giggles from the other side. I unlocked the door, turned the handle and pried open the steel gate. Greeting me were about 5-6 kids ranging from the age of maybe 3-8 year olds.

The li'll one standing right in front was a girl in pink. She greeted me and started talking very quickly ... all in Arabic that is. So she might as well speak in Greek cause it made no diff. I just smiled and said I only speak English. Another girl to her right (very pretty and adorable this one) began telling me in crisp English that today is Eid (it's what they call Hari Raya here) and they are here to trick-or-treat FOR MONEY!!!

Lim peh not married yet, so cannot give. Hahaha. Anyways, I asked them if 5 Dirhams per person is ok and this was when the eldest of the group, an obese boy said NO. He pointed at each one of them and said "100 Dirhams each". KNN, siao ar. I then told them I do not have enough money and they just turned and walked away ... proceeding to the house next door. Kids these days I tell ya.

Anyways, I'd like to take this oppurtunity to wish all Muslims SELAMAT HARI RAYA AND EID MUBARAK. For the non-Muslims, enjoy the hols and try not to overdose on rendang k. :p

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

blog during working hours ka, bro?

Adrian said...

It's Hari Raya here today. So public holiday for today and tomorrow. :p

Anonymous said...

chill la

Anonymous said...

those kids really...dont know how hard it is for us to earn that 100 Dirham. Gotta send them to malaysia to work, then they'll know.

Anonymous said...

Weird. I thought the tradition of giving money during Eid is merely in Malaysia. Never occurred to me that there are other countries who practice this "evil" tradition. haha.