Monday, December 7, 2009

Blast from the past ... Liar, Liar, Pants on Fire!


Rewind the clock by 22 years or so and you'll have li'll ol' me in kindergarten. Towering less than 3 feet tall, I had to be literally dragged to 'school' everyday to this quaint corner house lot in Section 17, PJ. A couple of my cousins went there too. No, I didn't like it there cause unlike the lucky tots nowadays, we didn't get to sink our fingers into colourful Play Doh or excite our minds with the latest games on the PSP. We did math, we read and recite the 'wonderful adventures' of Peter, Jane and Pat, the dog. During break time, we were told to sit down and finish our crackers and diluted Milo in utter silence. *blehhh* In addition, with a teacher I likened to a vile prison warden ... Ms. Khoo was my boogeyman ... my monster under the bed. I was terrified of her to the core *shiver*.

Anyways, nearing the end of the semester, we were told that the kindie is going to make us take a Final Exam. OH THE HORROR!!! Ms.Khoo a.k.a. Ms. Khookhoociau piled the pressure on us to do well. Perhaps the teachers were riding on a bet on whose students could perform the best. All parents were made aware of this exam and to dangle the carrot in front of me, my parents promised me a gift should I excel. My aunt promised my cousin the same. The game is ON!

The exams came and went. I was glad that it was finally over. On a sunny blue sky day (probably) ... as my cousin and I were sitting on a swing, waiting to be picked up ... we schemed. Yeap, you heard right ... a couple of 7 year olds ... putting our devious li'll minds together to connive!!! Muahahaha!

So here's the story, we would both go home that day and tell our parents that we scored the No.1 position in class. With that, we'll demand for our rightful gifts straightaway. *Brilliant*

That night I went home and delivered the 'good news' and with that, I bugged them till no end to take me to Savemart, SS2. Finally, I settled for a battery operated toy gun ... the kind with flashy lights and sounds yo! I went to bed clutching my prized possession to sleep. *Sweet Success* :)

The next day at kindie, I saw my cousin and she too had a huge smile plastered over her face. I knew our plan had worked. She snagged herself a Barbie.

The weekend soon came by and as usual, my family went to pay grandma a visit. Coincedentally, my aunt and cousin were there too. *Gulp*

Our families soon got to talking and obviously talked bout our recent 'achievements'. To cut the story short, they soon worked out that there can't possibly be two No.1 students in the same class and the cat was out of the bag. :(

Hell hath no fury like my mother's scorn I tell ya. To say I got an earful was an understatement of monsterous proportion. I ended up spending most of the night outside alone in the dark before Dad let me in. Eh, for a 7 year old, being alone in the dark was no joke k.

My cousin was luckier, she got off with a meager lecture bout telling fibs bla bla bla.

The funny part was that a couple of weeks later, the exam results were announced. They graded us not by positions in the class but overall throughout the entire grade. Only 5 best students were awarded and my cousin and I were among the elite 5. KNN!!! If only we waited a li'll longer ... sighhh.

So the moral of the story is ... TIMING IS EVERYTHING!!! ... oh and don't lie especially to your parents. The truth is always out there. *cue X-Files music theme*

No comments: